Published Wednesday, 24 June 2020
With hot weather here for the next few days at least, we have put together some tips for helping to cope with the heat.
- Keep windows that are exposed to the sun closed during the day, and open windows at night when the temperature has dropped.
- Avoid the heat: stay out of the sun between 11am and 3pm.
- Wear light, loose-fitting cotton clothes.
- Keep rooms cool by using shades or reflective material outside the windows. If this is not possible, use light-coloured curtains and keep them closed (metallic blinds and dark curtains can make the room hotter).
- If possible, move into a cooler room, especially when sleeping.
- Have cool baths or showers, and splash yourself with cold water.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol.
- If you have to go out in the heat, walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat and light scarf.
- Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may not be able to look after themselves, being mindful of social distancing guidelines.
- Stay connected, keep listening to the weather forecast.