Local Land Charges

Local land charges searches

A solicitor, licensed conveyancer or personal search company usually applies for a search to be made, but private individuals or organisations can also make them.

How can I request a land search?

To request a land search request, please complete the relevant forms (available through your solicitor) and provide a current plan with the boundary of the property clearly marked.  Please then email them to landcharges@waverley.gov.uk

You can also send the forms by post. If you do send them by post, please include two copies of all documents. Please send them to:

Local Land Charges
Waverley Borough Council
The Burys

DX address: 58303 Godalming 1

Once we receive the forms, we will contact you to organise payment.

Privacy notices for forms

LLC1: We will use the information you provide in this form to process your application for a Local Authority Search (LLC1). We will not share any of the information you provide with any third party unless we are required to do so by law. We will keep this information for 12 years.

CON29: We will use the information you provide in this form to process your application for a Local Authority Search (CON29). We will share this information with Building Control, Environmental Services and Surrey County Council where necessary. We will keep this information for 12 years.

CON29O: We will use the information you provide in this form to process your application for a Local Authority Search (CON29O). We will share this information with Environmental Services and Surrey County Council where necessary. We will keep this information for 12 years.

Cancelling a search

Please be advised that the relevant fee payment will be taken for any search that has been submitted to the Local Land Charges team. We regret that we cannot cancel searches once entered on the computer as work will have already commenced.

Submit searches online using the National Land Information Service

The National Land Information Service (NLIS) provides electronic access to all the official sources of land and property information across the whole of England and Wales. You can submit Local Authority searches online using their website: http://www.nlis.org.uk/.

How long does it take to process?

You should receive the search results within seven working days.
Please note that we do not provide a service for expediting searches. All searches are treated equally, so the searches that arrive at our offices sooner will be processed sooner.

If you have not received your search results after seven working days, please contact us for an update on the progress of your search.

The cut off point for accepting new searches each day is 10.30am. If we receive your search request after this time we will begin processing it the following working day.

How much does it cost?

The table below shows the fees for submitting the various forms. All fees include VAT unless stated otherwise.

 LLC1 (submitted alone) £43 (VAT n/a)
 LLC1 (as part of a full search) £43 (VAT n/a)
 CON29 £245
 Full Local Authority Search* (LLC1 +CON29) £288
 CON29O enquiries £18 / question
 Additional questions £27.60 / question
 Extra parcels of land (LLC1) £5 / parcel (VAT n/a)
 Extra parcels of land (CON29) £18 / parcel

*A 'full search' consists of the LLC1 and the CON29 submitted together, the fee for which is currently £288 inc VAT.

Guidance on what is construed as an 'extra parcel of land' can be found on page 2 of the LLC1 form. (In the instance that you require search on a single property/dwelling within a building, we will not charge for extra parcels provided you have specified on which property/dwelling you require a search.)
If you are uncertain about whether your search area contains any extra parcels of land, you can email a scanned copy of your plan to us at landcharges@waverley.gov.uk and we will respond to you with a quote.
For information on how our search fees are determined, you can find the calculations made in the Council's Annual Budget.

Is it possible to cancel my search request?

Yes, however once we have received your instruction to proceed with the search, you must notify us that you wish to cancel your search by 12pm on the day we start processing it. Beyond this time it will be too late for us to halt the process.

What is a land search and why do I need one?

If you are looking to buy any land or property, before doing so you may need to request a Local Land Charges search (also referred to as a Local Authority search or a land search).
The results of a search will reveal any information that the Council holds that will be relevant to your decision to purchase, such as whether the land has any land charges upon it, a full copy of the planning history and details about any public highways (roads, footpaths, bridleways, etc) in the area.

What is a Land Charge?

Land charges come in many varieties, but what they all boil down to is an obligation that the owner or any subsequent owner of the land will need to comply with - quite literally, a charge upon the land. For example, these could be conditions imposed in any planning permissions that have been granted, protected trees that must not be damaged, monies owed to third parties, or restrictions on permitted development.
All land charges come with their own obligations, and it is important to be aware of any that affect the property you are looking to purchase.

Breakdown of the different forms

The LLC1 is a search of the land register (not to be confused with the Land Registry), which is a record of all the land charges that are currently in effect within the Borough.

The CON29 is a set list of questions that are answered by various departments within the Council and the highways authority - in our case, Surrey County Council. A breakdown of all the questions can be found on page 2 of the CON29 form.

There is also a list of optional questions called the CON29O. Again, a breakdown of these questions can be found on page 2 of the CON29O form.

These forms can either be submitted together or separately, so for example if there is just one question on the CON29O that you would like answered there is no need to submit a full search (we will still require a plan however).

Finally, if there is anything else you wish to know about the land that isn't revealed as standard, you can ask any additional questions of your own.

Page owner: Henry Ascoli. Last updated: 07/01/2019 15:51

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.