The Specsavers Surrey Youth Games (SSYG) is the largest annual youth sports festival in the county, with more than 2,000 competitors taking part every year. The event is suitable for anyone between the ages of seven to 16 who wants to learn a new sport or develop skills with qualified coaches.
The main aim of the games is to encourage young people to develop their sporting skills and promote physical activity and fair play in sport. In 2018 we had nearly 200 registrations from young people in Waverley who attended our training sessions. More than 110 of those participants were selected to represent Team Waverley during the weekend competition.
Surrey Youth Games Sports:
Couch to 2K
Children taking part can get up to 10 weeks of FREE training. This is led by fully qualified and experienced coaches across a range of different sports. All of our coaches have links to one of Waverley's sports clubs, meaning it will offer all the attendees the chance to carry on playing their chosen sport after the fun of the Surrey Youth Games is over.
Through attending training sessions, each participant then has the chance to be selected for Team Waverley for the Specsavers Surrey Youth Games competition weekend.
Young Ambassadors will play a really important role in promoting the SSYG among school friends and family, they will present or help out in school assemblies and spread the word about the games. The scheme is an opportunity for young people to develop their leadership skills and confidence.
As a Young Ambassador you will be required to:
- Put up posters around your school and hand out leaflets to other students (all required resources will be provided)
- Encourage friends and peers to register for the training
- Signpost people to the council's website for further information
- Help in leading or taking part in a school assembly
- Coming up with your own ideas to help promote Specsavers Surrey Youth Games for Waverley
- Log what you do as a Young Ambassador
In return for your time, Waverley will reward you with:
- Young Ambassador T-shirt
- A goodie bag
- Meet and greet with elite sports star(s)
- Potential to be nominated at your local sports awards
- The chance to win £250 worth of sports equipment for your school
Not only that it will be great on your CV, you will gain skills and confidence. If you are working towards a Duke of Edinburgh award, it is an ideal opportunity to get some voluntary hours signed off.
Parent Information can be found here.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01483 523169.
Page owner: Tom Crowe. Last updated: 19/02/2019 16:07