Water refunds for former tenants

We have a longstanding agreement with Thames Water where we collect water charges along with our tenants' rent.  This means that tenants don't deal directly with the water company as we manage billing and collection of payments.

Court case

A recent court case challenged this arrangement and the commission that we receive from Thames Water for collecting water charges on their behalf. The court ruled that we had acted as a 'water reseller' and had overcharged tenants so we are now paying this money back.

Can I get a refund?

We will refund tenants a percentage of the commission we received for water charge collection between 1 April 2011 and 31 March 2017

On average, former tenants can get  £27 per year.   The amount of refund will depend on how long you lived in a Waverley council home and whether we collected water charges on behalf of Thames Water at each property. 

If you lived in a number of Waverley homes, we will take them all into account when calculating the refund.

Joint tenants

We will only give one refund as only one water charge is made for each property. In these cases, we will refund the lead tenant.

How this affects your benefits

The refund will be taken into account when assessing your total savings for Housing Benefit purposes.

If you have rent arrears

We will use the refund to pay off your arrears and any remaining amount will be paid to your bank account.

How to get your refund

We have already credited current tenants' rent accounts with the amount of their refund.

Former tenants

If you are a former tenant and no longer in a Waverley property, you need to claim your refund. 

You can contact the Housing Repairs team on 01483 523054.

Page owner: Vanessa de Chazal. Last updated: 14/09/2017 15:41

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.