Managing your tenancy

Frequently asked questions - council tenants

Can I move home if I owe rent or service charges?

No. You'll need to clear any arrears before you can apply for an exchange or transfer.

Can I swap my home with another tenant?

Most people with a secure (lifetime) or five year flexible tenancy in their name can apply for a home swap.  However, there are some conditions - you must not have rent arrears, a history of antisocial behaviour, or have broken any of the terms and conditions of your tenancy. 

If you have an introductory tenancy you are not able to apply for a home swap.

Find out more about swapping your home.

Can I give my tenancy to my son or daughter?

We can only consider passing your tenancy to your son/daughter in the event of your death, and only if they've been living with you for the previous 12 months.  Each tenancy can only be passed on once - so if you've taken on a family member's tenancy yourself - you won't be able to pass it on again.

Find out more about tenancy succession

Can I add someone else to my sole tenancy?

We will grant joint tenancies on request by any two persons living together as partners, regardless of gender or marital status, depending on the terms and conditions of the particular tenancy agreement and subject to our procedures.

Applications for joint tenancies will be considered providing you do not have any rent arrears and that the proposed joint tenant has lived at your address for at least a year (with Waverley's knowledge). The one year rule does not apply if the proposed joint tenant is your spouse or civil partner.

In order to make the best use of the housing stock for both existing and future residents, applications for joint tenancies between other relatives will usually be refused (e.g. between mother and daughter, brother and sister).

Request a joint tenancy application form

How do I end my tenancy?

You need to give us at least four weeks' notice, in writing, to end your tenancy.

Find out more about moving out your council home

Do I have the right to buy my home?

Visit our Right to buy web page to find out more.

Can I have a lodger?

Yes, you can have a lodger as long as it doesn't take the number of occupants above the maximum number as set out in your tenancy agreement.  You'll also need our written permission first.

Find out more about lodgers and subletting

Can I have a pet?

You will need our written consent to keep a pet.

Complete our online permission form

Can I make improvements to my home?

Yes you can - as long as you've got a secure (lifetime) or five year flexible tenancy (we do not give permission for introductory tenancies). Before carry out any improvements you will need Waverley Borough Council's consent and if applicable you must get planning permission and comply with building regulations.  All work must be carried out by qualified tradesmen.  Any electrical works must be carried out by a qualified electrician and a certification number.

Find out more about tenant alteration requests

I've lost my tenancy agreement

You can contact us to ask for a copy of your tenancy agreement, please note there may be a charge for this service.

Can I run a business from my home?

If you wish to run a business or trade from your home, you will need our written consent first.

Find out more about running a business from a council home

Page owner: . Last updated: 13/07/2017 15:54

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.