Guidance on extending and renovating homes

If you're planning a domestic building project, make sure you know the legal requirements before you start. Depending on your project, you may need to apply for planning permission and building regulations approval.

Our guides to extending or renovating your home outline the technical requirements for extensions, loft conversions, garage conversions and other alterations.

Guide to extending your home (ebook)

Guide to renovating your home (ebook)

More information

Do you need building regulations approval?

Check if you need building regulation approval on the Planning Portal's Interactive House.

Advice for homeowners

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales and offers useful information and guidance.

Building control for homeowners advice from the LABC

Competent person scheme

You do not need to get approval yourself if you use someone registered with a competent person scheme (, for example for electrical installations (Electrical work) or putting in replacement windows.

Building control applications

See Building control applications to find out about the different types of building control applications and apply via the planning portal.

Contact building control

Please contact us for further advice:

Tel: 01483 523323


Page owner: Lindsay Goodman. Last updated: 09/01/2019 11:49

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.