Waverley is a vibrant area with a strong economy, attractive towns and villages and exceptional countryside. Each of the borough’s towns and villages has its own distinct character with its own architectural styles and strong sense of civic pride.
We have 1,749 listed buildings in the borough and 43 Conservation Areas. However, we also need to accommodate new housing and provide opportunities for business to grow.
Waverley is a very expensive place with many residents unable to rent or buy housing in the area.
The planning service is currently amongst the top 15% of planning authorities in England for the speed of decisions when determining planning applications.
- Considering the potential for a new settlement of 1,800 homes on a brownfield site.
- Delivering high-quality developments that meet the needs of our communities.
- Updating the council’s Local Plan to respond to the pro growth agenda.
- Supporting the delivery of 10 neighbourhood plans.
- Continuing to meet Government targets for speed of dealing with major applications.
- Protecting the borough’s historic environment by continuing to undertake a raft of conservation reviews and develop a programme of environmental improvements.
- Maintaining our position of one of the top planning authorities in determining planning applications.
- Maintaining excellence in design including the running of a highly successful biennial Design Awards.
Progressing your career in Planning
Waverley is at the forefront of innovation and is always seeking new ways to help its customers in an ever-changing society. It doesn’t end here though, Waverley is equally as innovative in the ways in which it supports its employees and will continually look to invest, develop and support you.
Waverley is committed to your development. You’ll have regular 1:2:1 meetings with your manager to discuss your performance and development needs. You’ll also attend regular team meetings to keep you informed of current business matters and work proactively with elected members supporting them in their role as planning committee members and community champions.
For planning professionals
Planning professionals need to stay up-to-date with developments in the sector, keep abreast of current issues and consider a range of ways to develop new skills and knowledge.
Waverley supports its planners in a number of ways including:
- presenting at committee meetings
- professional development
- training and courses
- membership resources
- through engagement with your manager.
What Planning staff say
Comments from a Principal Planning Officer
"I have the opportunity to get involved in a variety of applications. One of the benefits of working at Waverley is there is a strong support network and a friendly team atmosphere. On the job training and opportunities for career development is excellent."
Comments from a Major Projects Officer
"One of the things that attracted me to Waverley was the opportunity to work for a council seeking to deliver high quality development. I have a diverse caseload and get the opportunity to work on applications of strategic importance and am very well supported by senior officers."
Page owner: Vanessa de Chazal. Last updated: 29/10/2018 13:40