Licences and registrations - Street trading consent

Street trading consent

Street trading involves selling or offering for sale any article in any street (including all forecourts, roads, pavements and other areas next to streets) or free publice open spaces.

In Waverley, we have certain streets where street trading is prohibited and some others require our consent before you can trade there.

See street trading locations in Waverley for a map and list of streets.

Where a street trading consent is required, there are two types of consent issued in Waverley:

  • for individuals acting as sole traders
  • where community-run or special events take place and the organiser applies on behalf of all the traders at the event.

Application process

You need to apply at least 28 days before you want to start trading.  This allows us to consult with local interested parties – eg town council, the fire service etc.

If we don’t get any objections to your application, you will receive consent to trade in your chosen location after the 28 day consultation.

If we do get objections to your application, it will be discussed at one of our licencing sub-committees, who will then decide the final outcome. You will be invited to present your application at this meeting.

Same process for new applications and renewals

You need to go through this process for new applications and renewals.

Once issued, the consent is valid for a maximum of 12 months.

Application forms

Download street trading consent application forms

You may wish to read our application guidance notes before completing your application.


Please enclose the correct fee with your application and make cheques payable to Waverley Borough Council.

Category Description Fee
1 Sole trader, annual consent £296
2 Schedule 2 event, up to 50 traders, annual consent £306
3 Schedule 2 event, 51 traders or more, annual consent £240
4 Schedule 2 event, up to 50 traders, single event £143
5 Schedule 2 event, 51 traders or more, single event £160
Additional notes

Download Waverley's Street trading policy

Street trading - food

If you intend to street trade in food, eg ice cream, burger van etc, then you will also need to register with the Food and Health and Safety Team. It is free to register.
You should register with the local authority where you keep your vehicle.

Street trading applications open for consultation

A list of current applications open for consultation is available on this website. If you wish to make a representation, there is a link on individual application pages.

Public register

Environmental Health Customer & Technical Support Team on 01483 523393 or

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.